Mrs. VanderVere’s Class’s Topics To Share
- School Books, Manners Books, Friendship Books, Math Books, American Symbols Books, Weather Books, “I PICK” Independent Reading Level Books, and Poetry
- ReadyGEN End of Unit 1 Reading Assessments
- Instructional Level Reading Assessments
- Practice Books to Read Out Loud at Home (Independent Reading Level)
- Kevin Henkes (continued) www.kevinhenkes.com
- Reading Response Writing
- ReadyGEN End of Unit 1 Writing Assessments
- Word Wall Words and Handwriting Practice
- Part-Part-Whole, Data Collection & Analysis, Story Problems, Showing Numbers, Problem Solving, and Review
- United States Constitution Day: U.S. Constitution Day was on Tuesday, September 17th. We read a book called “We the Kids, The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States” by David Catrow and talked about our country’s Constitution.
- Calm Classroom Techniques: ‘Bell Focus,’ ‘Shake & Relax,’ and ‘Seated Body Circles’
- Second Step Social Learning: Focusing Attention
- Weather: Seasons
*Reminders and Upcoming Events:
- Reading Practice Books: Enjoy listening to your child read out loud from his/her reading practice book at his/her independent reading level each day to practice reinforcing his/her reading strategies and skills.
*Please ask your child questions about the book and discuss what your child is reading to help strengthen his/her reading comprehension skills.
- XtraMath Website: Please have your child work on the XtraMath website as a part of his/her weekly first grade practice routine. This consistent math computation practice will help increase his/her accuracy and fluency.
- Library Books: School library books are due by next Thursday, September 26th.
- Mystery Reader Forms: Mystery Reader volunteer sign-up forms are due by next Thursday, September 26th. Please return the form inside an envelope.
- Early Release: Students will be dismissed at 1:40 next Friday, September 27th.
*Students will be eating their fruit or vegetable snacks and lunches at school.
- No School/Rosh Hashanah: We do not have school on Monday, September 30th.
- North Shore School District 112 Walk and Bike to School Day: NSSD 112 Walk and Bike to School Day will be held on Wednesday, October 2nd. This encourages families to teach their children safe and healthy ways to get to school. Please try to participate if it is possible for your family to get to school this way.
- NSSD 112 Education Foundation 17th Annual 5K Fun(d) Run and Family Walk: This amazing community event will be held on Saturday, October 5th at Ravinia Festival in Highland Park at 8:00 a.m. All proceeds will benefit the Scholarship Fund for the students in our school district.
- No School/Yom Kippur: We do not have school on Wednesday, October 9th.
- No School/Fall Break: We do not have school on Monday, October 14th.
- Teacher Institute Day: Students do not have school on Tuesday, October 15th for Teacher Institute Day.
- Indian Trail School Picture Day: Students will be having their school photographs taken on Wednesday, October 23rd.
1V Reading Practice Books
Today your child has a reading practice book with an orange informational note inside a Ziploc bag, leveled at his/her independent reading level. This book should be EASY for your child to read, practicing good reading accuracy, fluency, and appropriate expression. Practice books will come home each day to help your child apply and reinforce his/her reading strategies and skills. Please have your child practice reading OUT LOUD to you each day. Then ask him/her some comprehension questions to check for understanding and discuss the book.
- If the book comes with word cards, please have your child read the word cards first, next read and discuss the book, and then reread the word cards again for a second time. The book and cards need to be returned in the Ziploc bag the next day, so your child can exchange them for a new book and cards.
- If your child is reading a longer book without word cards, please have your child read out loud from the book and discuss his/her reading each day until he/she finishes it.
*Enjoy sharing these books together!
Today your child has a gold informational note inside his/her blue Home folder about Mystery Readers. We are looking for parents who are available to volunteer to be mystery readers in our classroom. Mystery readers can sign up for ONE time to read a picture book of their choice to our class. The story should be able to be read in about 10 to 15 minutes. If you are interested, please check the available dates/times on second the page. Then sign and return the bottom portion of the note in an envelope with your date preferences and three clues about yourself. Remember, it’s a secret! Please do not tell your child if you are coming. We are looking forward to having some mystery readers visit our classroom.
Sign-up forms are due next Thursday, September 26th.
Focusing Attention Lesson Concepts:
1. Focusing attention involves using your eyes, ears, and brain.
2. You can focus your attention just by thinking about it, and the more you do it, the better you get at it.
3. Using self-talk helps focus attention.
*Please encourage your child to share and review the "Focusing Attention" Home Link page that is inside his/her blue Home Folder.
Indian Trail School Service Club Project for 1st Grade: Create fundraising posters & decorate collection boxes to help families in need after Hurricane Dorian
Indian Trail School Service Club Project for 1st Grade:
First grade students have the wonderful opportunity to participate in an Indian Trail School Service Club special service project TOMORROW, Tuesday, September 17th during their recess time. This project focus will help UNICEF and The American Red Cross raise funds to help people in need of relief and assistance due to Hurricane Dorian.