- Daily News Journal Writing: Please make sure your child is completing, reading, sharing, and discussing his/her Daily News Journal writing and colored illustration each day. After he/she reads, shares, and discusses information about his/her school day, please initial the page. If your child’s Daily News Journal writing and/or illustration is not done, please have your child complete it at home for homework.
- Reading Homework Books: Your child has been bringing homework books home each day to read at his/her independent reading level. Homework books come home every day to help your child practice reinforcing his/her reading strategies and skills. These books should be easy for your child to read, practicing good reading accuracy, fluency, and appropriate expression. Please have your child read out loud to you each night. Then ask him/her some comprehension questions to check for understanding and discuss the book.
*If your child is reading a longer book, please have your child read out loud from the book and discuss his/her reading each day until he/she finishes it.
- 'Words Their Way' Word Study Homework: Students have different Word Sort words to study, practice, and learn each week. They will usually get new Word Sorts on Monday and will have 'word study' homework Monday through Thursday, with check-up assessments on Fridays.
- Raz-Kids Reading Website: Please make sure your child is practicing on the Raz-Kids reading district website to help strengthen his/her reading comprehension as a part of your child's weekly homework routine. Your child needs to read a story first and then take the comprehension quiz to check for understanding. Your child should NOT be “LISTENING” to the stories, because we are using this website to help focus on strengthening his/her reading comprehension, not listening comprehension. Students are leveled at their independent reading level and should be able to work on this website independently or with minimal assistance.
*If your child makes any errors on his/her quiz, he/she needs to reread the story and retake the quiz until ALL answers are correct and accurate.
- DreamBox Math Website: Please make sure your child is practicing on the DreamBox math district website as a part of his/her weekly first grade homework routine. This math program is designed to help each student practice Common Core aligned mathematical skills at his/her individualized level, making sure every student improves his/her math. Your child's username is his/her "first full name (no nicknames) and the first initial of his/her last name, typed all together in lowercase letters (example: heidiv) and his/her password is the picture password that he/she will choose or has already chosen during the last school year.
- Front Row Math Website: Please make sure your child is working on the Front Row math website as a part of his/her weekly first grade homework routine. This math program is designed to help each student practice Common Core aligned mathematical skills at his/her individualized level, making sure every student improves his/her math.
- XtraMath Website: Please make sure your child is practicing on the XtraMath website as a part of your child's weekly first grade homework routine. This consistent math computation practice will help increase your child's accuracy and fluency in math.