Valentine's Day Celebrations are tomorrow at Indian Trail School!
Valentine's Day will be celebrated at school tomorrow, Wednesday, February 14th. Please remember if you plan to send valentines to school, your child must have one valentine for each child in our class.
*Please note, sweet treats may not be included with the valentines.
DreamBox Learning Website:
Please have your child practice on the DreamBox math website as a part of his/her weekly first grade practice routine. Your child's username is his/her "first full name (no nicknames) and the first initial of his/her last name, typed all together in lowercase letters (example: heidiv) and his/her chosen picture password.
Please click on the image below to be redirected to the DreamBox website.
Please have your child practice on the Raz-Kids reading website as a part of his/her weekly first grade practice routine. Your child needs to read a story first and then take the comprehension quiz to check for understanding. Your child should NOT be “listening” to the stories, because we are using this particular website to help focus on strengthening his/her independent reading comprehension, not listening comprehension. Students' independent reading levels have just been updated and your child should be able to work on this website independently or with minimal assistance.
*If your child makes any errors on his/her quiz, he/she needs to continue to reread the story and retake the quiz until ALL answers are correct and accurate.
Please click on the image below to be redirected to the Raz-Kids reading website.
'Words Their Way' Word Study Words
Today your child received his/her new instructional leveled word sort words. Students will be assessed on these word sort words next Friday, February 23rd. Please make sure your child does his/her weekly 'Words Their Way' practice activities this week and next week, so he/she can learn the word study patterns by next Friday. Daily sort activities can be found on the blog on the top toolbar under the Weekly Practice Resources in the drop down menu under 'Words Their Way.'
Mrs. VanderVere’s Class Topics To Share
- Scholastic News/Weekly Reader, Dental Health Books, Valentine's Day Books, Presidents Books, Abraham Lincoln Books, George Washington Books, Groundhog Day Books, Shadow Books, Winter/Snow Books, Friendship Books, and Poetry
- Shared Reading
- Robert Munsch (continued) www.robertmunsch.com
- Opinion Writing: “Convince Your Reader”
- Word Sorts Writing and Handwriting Practice
- Reading Response Writing
- Using an Open Number Line, Skip Counting by 5’s & 10’s, Number Patterns, Addition & Subtraction Equations, Problem Solving Strategies, and Review
- Social Learning/Problem Solving: Fair Ways to Play
- Winter Storms: Blizzard Conditions and Safety Preparations
*Reminders and Upcoming Events:
- 100th Day of School: We will be celebrating our 100th Day of School next Monday, February 12th with some fun, thematic activities.
- Library Books: School library books are due next Monday, February 12th.
- Box-Tops: Please send Box-Tops to school with your child to help our PTO earn additional funds. Each Box-Top is worth ten cents. The current PTO Box-Top classroom collection ends next Monday, February 12th.
- Valentine Cards: We will be celebrating Valentine’s Day next Wednesday, February 14th. Students are welcome to bring valentines to school for all 20 of their classmates.
*Please do not include any sugary treats or goody bags with your child's valentines, because a sweet treat will be provided in our classroom. Thank you for continued support and understanding!
- Valentine's Day Classroom Celebration: If anyone is interested in helping with our Valentine's Day classroom celebration next Wednesday, February 14th from 2:15 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., please contact our room parent, Mrs. Katie Koenig Schmanski at firstname.lastname@example.org or (616) 717-3468. Thank you!
- Early Release: Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. next Friday, February 16th.
*Students will still be eating their fruit or vegetable snacks and lunches at school.
- No School/Presidents’ Day: We do not have school on Monday, February 19th in honor of Presidents’ Day.
- Ice Cream Day: Students will have the opportunity to purchase an ice cream/frozen treat on Wednesday, February 21st during lunch for $3.00.
Six Flags “Read to Succeed” Ticket Opportunity:
Today your child has a Six Flags "Read to Succeed" Six Hour Reading Club recording form inside his/her blue Home folder. If you would like your child to participate in this great ticket opportunity, please help your child record his/her reading materials and minutes read during the rest of this month. Completed forms are due by the end of the month by Wednesday, February 28th. Every student who reads at least 360 minutes/6 hours and returns his/her completed form with a parent signature will receive one free student ticket to visit Six Flags theme park in Gurnee, IL for this coming summer.