|Mrs. VanderVere's First Grade Blog||
'Words Their Way' Word Study Assessment
Your child's 'Words Their Way' word study assessment is TOMORROW, Thursday, December 14th. Today is the last day to practice, review, and learn word patterns. Daily practice activities can always be found on our Blog on the toolbar under Weekly Practice Resources in the drop down menu in Words Their Way.
Students have had their different Word Sort words to study, practice, and learn since last week. Your child's next assessment will be this THURSDAY, December 14th. There are only three more days to practice, review, and learn the word patterns. Daily practice activities can always be found on our Blog on the toolbar under Weekly Practice Resources in the drop down menu in Words Their Way.
Bundling Up & Getting Dressed:
Please remind your child to dress appropriately for the cold, snowy outdoor weather by wearing a warm, heavy coat, snow pants, hat, gloves/mittens, scarf, and snow boots to school. Please have your child practice zipping, snapping, buttoning, and tying his/her shoes if he/she still needs assistance getting dressed as well. Gym shoes are needed for gym class every school day and a pair may be kept at school. Thank you for your continued help and support!
Mrs. VanderVere’s Class’s Topics To Share
- December Books, Family Books, Friendship Books, Holiday Books, Snow Books, Weather Books, Addition Books, “I PICK” Books, and Poetry
- Guided Reading/Small Group Instructional Level Reading
- Jan Brett (continued) www.janbrett.com
- Informational Writing: “How to Write a Teaching Book”
- December Holidays Writing
- Word Sorts Writing and Handwriting Practice
- Story Problems, Related Facts, Equivalent Equations, Making Number Sentences, Place Value, Problem Solving Strategies, and Review
- Weather: Freezing Temperatures, Snow, and Ice
- Social Learning/Emotion Management: “Identifying Our Own Feelings”
*Reminders and Upcoming Events:
- Bundling Up: Please remind your child to dress appropriately for the cold outdoor weather by wearing a warm, heavy coat, snowpants, hat, gloves or mittens, scarf, warm boots, etc.
*Students have 25 minutes of outdoor recess everyday after lunch.
- Getting Dressed: Please have your child practice zipping, snapping, buttoning, and tying his/her shoes if he/she still needs assistance getting dressed. Thank you for your continued help and support at home!
- First Grade "Bridges in Mathematics" District Workshop: I will be attending a first grade "Bridges in Mathematics" North Shore School District 112 workshop next Tuesday, December 12th and next Wednesday, December 13th with all of the other first grade teachers in our school district. Please remind your child to do his/her best and help Mrs. Bergman, my substitute teacher, by being respectful, responsible, and safe. Thank you for your continued help and support!
- Ice Cream Day: Students will have the opportunity to purchase an ice cream/frozen treat next Wednesday, December 13th during lunch for $3.00.
- “Words Their Way” Word Study Assessment: Students will be assessed on their current Word Sort words next Thursday, December 14th. Your child should be continuing to practice his/her different word sort practice activities at home.
- Library Books: Library books are due by next Friday, December 15th.
- First Grade Music Program: First grade students will be performing their music program "The Mitten" next Friday, December 15th at 2:30 p.m. for parents in the small gym.
- Winter Break: Winter break will begin after school next Friday, December 15th. School will resume on Tuesday, January 2nd.
***ATTENDANCE REMINDER: If your child is going to be absent from school for any reason, please call the school's attendance line and report his/her absence at 224-765-3505.
'Words Their Way' Word Study Words
Students will be assessed on the new word sort words that they received yesterday next THURSDAY, December 14th. Please make sure your child practices his/her weekly 'Words Their Way' activities each day this week and next week, so he/she can learn the word study patterns by next Thursday. Daily practice activities can always be found on the blog on the top toolbar under the Weekly Practice Resources in the drop down menu under 'Words Their Way.'
Today your child has his/her individual XtraMath website enrollment information on a white note inside his/her blue Home folder. Please help your child enroll and have him/her practice on this math website as a part of his/her weekly practice routine. This consistent math computation practice will help increase your child's accuracy and speed in math.
Please click on the image below to be redirected to the XtraMath website.