Tomorrow, Wednesday, February 21st is Ice Cream Day. Students will have the opportunity to purchase an ice cream/frozen treat during lunch for $3.00.
|Mrs. VanderVere's First Grade Blog||
The 2018 February Youth Art Month NSSD 112 Art Exhibit:
Please visit our amazing “District 112 Student Art Show” at The Art Center of Highland Park, located at 1957 Sheridan Road in Highland Park, IL. This exhibit includes a wonderful selection of artwork created by kindergarten through eighth grade students in our school district. Art exhibits are open now through next Monday, February 26th. Families are also welcome to attend an informal Open House this Thursday, February 22nd from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. with our district's art teachers and administrators.
Students have had their current Word Sort words to study, practice, and learn since last Monday. Your child has been working on 'word study' practice activities at school and should also be practicing these activities at home. Your child's next check-up assessment will be this Friday, February 23rd. There are only four more days to practice, review, and learn the word patterns.
Mrs. VanderVere’s Class’s Topics To Share
- Scholastic News/Weekly Reader, 100th Day of School Books, Valentine's Day Books, Presidents Books, Abraham Lincoln Books, George Washington Books, Dental Health Books, Groundhog Day Books, Shadow Books, Winter Books, Snow Books, Friendship Books, Math Books, and Poetry
- Guided Reading/Small Group Instructional Level Reading
- Robert Munsch (continued) www.robertmunsch.com
- Opinion Writing: “Love is...”
- Word Sorts Writing and Handwriting Practice
- Reading Response Writing
- Using Number Lines, Skip Counting, Number Patterns, Addition & Subtraction Equations, Problem Solving Strategies, and Review
- 100th Day of School Math: Counting, Place Value, Patterns, Groupings, and Counting Money
- Abraham Lincoln: Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States. He ended slavery, won the Civil War, and kept our country united.
- Life Long Ago: “In Abe Lincoln’s Time”
- Presidents' Day: A Day to Honor All United States' Presidents
- 100th Day of School: We had fun celebrating the 100th Day of School on Monday with our collections of 100, math activities, books, and poetry!
- Valentine’s Day Celebration: We would like to thank Mrs. Koenig Schmanski, Mrs. Khodos, Mr. Kach, and Mrs. Wigmore for planning, organizing, and providing us with such a nice Valentine's Day class party on Wednesday afternoon! We liked making Valentine holders, playing both games, and eating the tasty treat! We were very excited about opening special valentine cards from each other too!
*Reminders and Upcoming Events:
- No School/Presidents’ Day: We do not have school next Monday, February 19th in honor of Presidents’ Day.
- Ice Cream Day: Students will have the opportunity to purchase an ice cream/frozen treat next Wednesday, February 21st during lunch for $3.00.
- “Words Their Way” Word Study Assessment: Students will be assessed on their current list of Word Sort words next Friday, February 23rd. We have been practicing different word sort activities this week and will continue to practice more next week. Your child should be practicing these different word sort activities at home as well.
- Library Books: School library books are due by next Friday, February 23rd.
- Six Flags “Read to Succeed” Ticket Opportunity: Students’ “Read to Succeed” Six Hour Reading Club forms are due by Wednesday, February 28th if your child chose to participate. Your child’s reading log must have a TOTAL of at least 360 minutes/6 hours of reading recorded and initialed by a parent.
Students will be dismissed TOMORROW, Friday, February 16th at 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon. Students will still be eating their healthy fruit or vegetable snacks in the morning and their lunches at school. If your son/daughter is going home in a different manner than usual, please send a signed note to school with your child or call the front office.